USF Commanders

1 year ago

So I am mainly USF player, and I try to play all commanders, because I like diversity. First of all, from all USF commanders it is only like 3-4 that are actually useful. Here is what would be good, if Relic is not planning to add new things to commanders, at least add some commanders in which you just mix things that are already in game, for example give us commander with Sherman Easy 8 and P-47 Thunderbolts (that is just an example) the thing is that, why Germans have commander with JU-87 airstrike+Tiger, and JU-87 attacks infantry+vehicles, and this airstrike destroys Shermans, and Jacksons in like 2 seconds (I am not even talking what it is doing with infantry) it is like giving USF commander with P47+Pershing, but it is different, because P47's often can't even destroy one Panther, and it is not attacking infantry. What am I saying is, there should be more commanders that offer you things like; Sherman easy 8, Pershing, Rangers, P47 Thunderbolt airstrike, Paratroopers, because it is bad that if you want to have Sherman Easy 8 you need to pick that commander, and you don't need anything else from this commander (it mostly happens with P47 Commander)

Comments

11 months ago
    gydh56gydh56 Posts: 71

Perhaps you should design a commander? I completely agree with you, and would love to see your ideas.

11 months ago
    PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 346
    edited July 2018

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I think what you're looking for (perhaps what we're all looking for) is a US commander who has a little bit of everything. The Wehrmacht and the Soviets have commanders who fit this description but, the later factions have a deficiency in this regard (partly because there simply aren't as many commanders). The US needs a commander who brings true combined arms abilities to the game. He might look something like this:
    Assault Support Company

Reserve Armor

Sniper (or I & R Pathfinders)

M3 Half-Track Assault Group

P47 Strafe

Time-on-Target Artillery Barrage

This gives the player a range of abilities that address specific weaknesses in the US standard arsenal but combines them all in one package. Reserve Armor gives the player access to better tanks (the "Easy 8" is also good but doesn't have the bulldozer upgrade so isn't as versatile). The US really needs a sniper for a host of reasons but, as the designers/developers have an aversion to new units, I'd be willing to see the I & R Pathfinders used in its place (perhaps with a Marksman upgrade for one soldier). The M3 Assault group brings mobility to the infantry, along with flamethrowers and demolitions. A Major can provide aerial reconnaissance which can be followed up with a P47 Strafe to break-up infantry formations. Finally, the Time-on-target Barrage provides an off-map strike package which can be used to support an assault, cover a retreat or break up an enemy attack.

Is that something like what you want?

11 months ago
    edited July 2018

Anyone care to comment? :|

2 months ago
    MartevallMartevall Posts: 108
    edited March 28
    > @PanzerFutz said:
    > Anyone care to comment? :|

A little to late but i like to discuss even if i dont have to much to say

Answering , yes i think US lacks in commanders like that or kinda
    2 months ago

@Martevall Better late than never.

I'v gone off single pass strafes because, the cool-down times are too long. If they made single-pass strafes recharge in 30 seconds, I'd be all for them. They are just a waste of munitions most of the time if they take any longer than that. The new Rocket Strike for the Soviets is a perfect example of this problem - a 2 minute cool-down for a strike which only takes 20% health off a tank if you score a direct hit. What a waste.

What I've learned from the last revamp and the new commanders' designs is that the "balance" team seem to think that strong commanders are unbalanced. So they design them to be "balanced" - good items must be balanced by mediocre items. A commander can have 1 or 2 items that will be used a lot but, the rest of the roster must be items that will only be used occasionally.

That's why a commander like the one above will never be added to the game - every single item would get used repeatedly during a match. It goes against the very essence of Relic's design philosophy for factional doctrines, as far as I can tell.

2 months ago
    MartevallMartevall Posts: 108
    edited March 28
    Interesting , btw strafe run for USF cost too much for its efficiency isn't it?
    2 months ago
    38Lightning38Lightni… Posts: 197
    edited April 24
    P47 strafe run. Ya I was thinking about the cost of this one vs axis one that cost 60 compared to 125 of the p47.
    Thing is axis won't but scratch a light vehicle. P47 can kill one or half health a puma.

It is nice that it does the damage but on The flip side light vehicles move out of the way so easy not like they are getting targeted by a circle of death.

I feel like it try's to be a compromise between the two axis variants and more or less fails.

Either make it a circle that hangs around and targets Infantry and light vehicles for the current 125 muntions or so two planes.
    Or lower the cost to 90 munitions.

Stuka ju-87 anti-infantry strafe is 60 muni cheap.

Stuka ju-87 anti-tank strafe 110 muni powerful.

Anti tank can kill a sherman :neutral:

we have something that falls somewhere in between with a higher price tag and your only either targeting infantry or a light vehicle.

P47 rocket strafe 240 munitions
    Stuka close air support 200 munitions

Stuka close air support comes in faster and in faster intervals.

They both do enough damage to almost kill a king tiger.