Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Developer Introduction - DevM

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Feb 8, 2022, 6:40:59 PM

Developer Introduction - DevM

When we set out to make CoH 3, we wanted players involved right from day one. As one of the best CoH players in the world, we knew Miguel (aka DevM) needed to be a part of that journey. We're absolutely thrilled to welcome Miguel to the Relic family as our newest Gameplay Designer on CoH 3. Here's a few words from the legend himself! - JohnT_RE

Hello everyone! My name is Miguel and I have been part of the Company of Heroes community for quite a long time. Most of you will know me as DevM from CoH’s competitive scene!  

Miguel (aka DevM) is one of the most accomplished Company of Heroes players in the franchise's history.

I started playing Company of Heroes from a very young age when I was eleven years old, and since then I have been hooked on the series. In the beginning I was very much a player who enjoyed the occasional artillery filled team game, but then slowly transitioned to playing on the 1v1 ladder. There I steadily increased both my rankings and love for the competitive aspect of the game. That’s where I hit my first CoH milestone by getting to rank 1 in both Wehrmacht and the American forces! 

Since then, many things have happened — I have hit rank 1 in almost all the factions in CoH 2 during the game’s lifetime, I won Sunday Night Fights, Operation Charlie Fox, the War Paint Championship, and even the most recent Master League Scorched Earth tournament.  

Although many of you know me from my Company of Heroes achievements, only a few know what I have been working to achieve in my professional life! 

I studied Computer Science, which brought me to the world of programming. From there, it was only a small step to start fiddling with games and several of the tools available out there. That started my love for making my own games and designing them. Naturally, I had an interest in working at Relic as they created a bunch of RTS games I grew up with such as CoH and Homeworld.  

Now that I’m joining CoH 3’s Gameplay team as a Designer, I’m hoping to bring the high level of analysis that made me a top player to the design aspect of the game. I’d also love to work with the team on some fun stuff like AI! 

Hopefully I’ll be able to help create the best possible iteration of Company of Heroes with the rest of the team. 

- Miguel 

In a tense Game 4 vs VonIvan, DevM has a bad start with a stunning artillery conclusion.

In the final match of this series, DevM tries to comeback from a losing position in this hour-long slugfest against Luvnest.

DevM faces up against his USF "playstyle nemesis" in CoH 1. Here you can see him adapt his playstyle on the fly to fit Fir3ball's.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Feb 8, 2022, 10:13:34 PM

Greetings!!! We are all very proud of you and this!

Believe me... I have a well meaning-envy of you!

Sure Relic and you will improve and grow up with each other!

Please, let me know if there is any more job listing for me XD (I've also studied computer science and I currently work as a project manager, but I'd love to work in this world)

Parabens!!!

2 years ago
Feb 8, 2022, 11:15:40 PM

Wow amazing news, congrats DevM! I recognize your name from way back, from watching your cames in CoH1.

I'm sure you will be able to provide an extremely valuable perspective to the dev team with your kind of skill and experience. Can't wait to see how everything comes together!

2 years ago
Feb 9, 2022, 3:20:53 AM

congrats DevM, but no USF bias please! 

I hope coh3 mp is good but please slant towards creativity and mechanics.

while balancing and competitive plays are easier with mirror abilities and little RNG randomness.

Coh series is followed because of the asymmetry and memes. Lets keep it less competitive, more creative

2 years ago
Feb 9, 2022, 2:27:40 PM

congratz!!
it's always nice when someone manages to combine pleasure and work!

good luck

2 years ago
Feb 10, 2022, 3:17:23 PM

It's cool to see someone I watched play in so many tournaments become a dev. Congrats!

2 years ago
Feb 15, 2022, 3:34:09 AM

Hi Miguel,

Where is the DevM_RE? @DevM is this your developer name or was this just some guy that took your name? First congrats on leaving GQ magazine and joining Relic, that photo is awesome!  I feel as if I wish they made this hire a year ago, at this point it's better late than never but I do feel they are lucky to land someone with your talent to contribute on the backend development for the next COH game.

This is a win/win/win (relic/DevM/coh community) we will all benefit from this partnership. I say partnership as even as their employee you are choosing to join them and offer your talents, so it's a partnership I think that will only help define the latest coh series. You have an in-depth knowledge of game balance/meta gameplay seeing it from the original coh to part two I feel like your skill is only one asset to joining cohdev, your perspective overall will be priceless. As others have mentioned they feel like pro's will naturally favor the competitive scene over other modes which may be your initial inclination, but I think at a certain point at your level of skill you just love the game for all of its modes especially as a designer. You mentioned AI, please check out this thread I posted not just for my commentary on AI but the other feedback from posters. LET'S CUT TO THE CHASE ALREADY, LET'S TALK ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, IT'S TIME.

If AI in coh 1 and coh 2 was like SD to HD, I'm hoping coh 3 will be 8k on OLED level of improvement. Don't settle for just good, aim for greatness like you did on the leaderboards!

Congrats to both you and Relic for this partnership. 

- Art of War

2 years ago
Feb 16, 2022, 3:37:20 PM

Congratz man! Good to see you on board of the coh3 team. It's good knowing that someone on the team will have a competitive perspective into things :)

2 years ago
Mar 22, 2022, 9:44:15 PM

Hey DEVM, remember that 90% or more of an RTS players base won't play ranked or are not competitive players, remember that some people like cool and fun things like sa2 mother ship black hole (that was remove thanks to pros ) remember that casual player base is bigger than competitive players, remember that DOW3 failed because relic removed cool and fun mechanics ( melee/range, morale, accuracy etc) and finally remember that a game needs to be cool and fun first then it can become an eSports lately... 

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Mar 28, 2022, 3:10:09 AM

Hey D3vm, i'm really glad you work at Relic now and can work on the game which you love! 

I hope to see you back on the Battlefield again, so you can teach me valuable lessons! 

?

Click here to login

Comment