Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Modding Documentation Feedback

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Mar 9, 2023, 9:18:02 PM

Our team wants to continue improving and supporting our documentation for the CoH3 modding tools. If there is something you're having trouble with, or need more guidance to accomplish what you're working on, please let us know in this thread. Our team will keep adding new articles and guides based on your feedback. So keep it coming!

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 9, 2023, 9:32:30 PM

With respect, John - the issue generally isn't people not knowing what to do, but that they're restricted from doing what they'd like to do.

More documentation and guides relating to using the mod tools would be great, but in terms of the attrib tools, it's not really worth making any until you lift the restrictions currently in place.

a year ago
Mar 9, 2023, 9:40:41 PM

When you guys add to the Documentation "Knowledge Center"  page, can you put a date added or something so we know what's new?

How come this Essence builder runs so much better/smoother then AOE4's version? Good job!

Would be cool to add a FAQ/TroubleShooting page, example most people complain about "flicker" in the essence window while building, this is easily fixed by going to windows graphic settings, and forcing Essence to use your graphics card not default/windows decides. When you run Essence by default, windows is dumb and doesn't choose it so it needs to be done manually.

Some information/tips on using bridges. It's hit or miss... or tutorial on how to make our own bridges would be cool if possible.

I'm struggling with atmosphere/fog/rain ran the tutorial many times, maybe a more detail breakdown? doesnt work like the tutorial says... dunno why.

We need a wiki of what every template in the Object Brower looks like, yes this is a huge job so maybe for xmas?

Scripting for making destructive scenarios, IE: troops walk towards building and trigger airstrike to take out buildings and/or bridges, etc...

thats all i can think of... :) thanks!

a year ago
Mar 9, 2023, 10:57:58 PM
Toljus wrote:

With respect, John - the issue generally isn't people not knowing what to do, but that they're restricted from doing what they'd like to do.

More documentation and guides relating to using the mod tools would be great, but in terms of the attrib tools, it's not really worth making any until you lift the restrictions currently in place.

yeah, no amount of documentation is gonna make more people use the tools at this point.

But i would say the biggest issue is scardoc missing.

a year ago
Mar 10, 2023, 1:19:47 AM

Please do a section on how to test your map without loading onto STEAM.  The workshop is full of maps that are not even playable... not a good look for you or us mod'ers.

I second Toljus on the unleashing... it is a very mediocre tool for tuning packs currently.

a year ago
Mar 10, 2023, 2:04:04 AM
Toljus wrote:

Totally agreed.

At least the mod tool should perform the same function as COH2 tools. To be more specificly, we cannot view and edit the effect of abilities, upgrades and veterency. I think a new category called state-tree is used for them, however it is not aviliable in the Essence Editor. It's really disappointing and upset for us. Please, Relic, make the mod tool useful, stactics would help the newcomers learn the game better.

a year ago
Mar 10, 2023, 11:02:14 AM

I noted many people could use a tutorial on how to set up thier minimap. 

E.g:
1. Open your map in the Essense Editor.
2. Right klick on 'Scenario' in the drop down list on your left side and select 'properties'.
3. In the Properties window (ScenarioProxy) on your right side you will now see a tab called 'Minimap', check the box 'Stylized Minimap Enabled'.
4. Klick the [...] on 'Stylized Minimap Pipeline Path' and select 'anvil_secondary_material_splats_strips'.
5. Done! Build mod and try it. Your map will now show a proper minimap texture and buildings.

a year ago
Mar 11, 2023, 6:45:33 AM
Toljus wrote:

Absolutely this. I can't believe how many features we have lost since the CoH 2 editor. That's what kept me playing the game the most. And without being able to make the mod and play the way I want, I feel like I'm going to end up dropping off any moment now.

a year ago
Mar 11, 2023, 11:04:31 AM

Something that would be welcome (don't know if it's possible yet) is a guide on how to make a weather/atmosphere that progress over time. E.g. An atmosphere setting that starts as a rainy dawn setting and slowly changes into a sunnier daytime.
Also i was expecting to be able to add optional weather presets to pick in map options like "Day" or "Night". 

Edit: P.s. Something i'd like to get into but lack any tutorials or proper documentation on is how to make singelplayer missions and/or how to script unit movments/animations. E.g. Triggers, spawning, move orders, events. 

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 13, 2023, 6:50:51 PM

-Destruction. buildings.
I have found it, but it is good that people know how to use the Preset Destruction.
-Destruction. Splines with entities
I have not found it and I do not know if it will be possible in coh3
-Heights
I would like up/down some rock on the ground, for example to put it on a hillside
-Make minimaps

a year ago
Mar 13, 2023, 10:03:49 PM

-Heights
I would like up/down some rock on the ground, for example to put it on a hillside
-Make minimaps

I think all that you pointed out needs more documentation, good to mention this! :)

F.Y.I

Press H to change the height of a aobject.

To add a minimap:
1.Right klick on 'Scenario' in the drop down list on your left side and select 'properties'.
2. In the Properties window (ScenarioProxy) on your right side you will now see a tab called 'Minimap', check the box 'Stylized Minimap Enabled'.
3. Klick the [...] on 'Stylized Minimap Pipeline Path' and select 'anvil_secondary_material_splats_strips'.

p.s. must have been asked about minimap and workshop image 15 times now. relic pls add to doc.

p.p.s. I don't know yet how make pre-destruction in this editor. And is there no weather effects? Could not get rain to show up.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 14, 2023, 5:51:31 AM

One thing I find vexatious is the hidden trees... if I clone the EBPS of the DAK 250 Halftrack, all the passenger positions disappear.  The hidden components make mod making like trying to tune an imperial engine with a metric socket set.  

Good maps, tuning packs & skins gave COH2 a good long life, I think my count of mods for it was up around 30.  This should be a win-win-win.

a year ago
Mar 14, 2023, 11:48:32 AM
Adler wrote:

One thing I find vexatious is the hidden trees... if I clone the EBPS of the DAK 250 Halftrack, all the passenger positions disappear.  The hidden components make mod making like trying to tune an imperial engine with a metric socket set.  

Good maps, tuning packs & skins gave COH2 a good long life, I think my count of mods for it was up around 30.  This should be a win-win-win.

Yesman! Unlock the editor please, as Adler sais here the constraints are not helping the modding in this game. Support the modding community and the modding community will support you [Relic]. Although I'm very glad John_RE here is openly asking for feedback, that goes to show they do care to some extent. :)
As I have said before look at Valve games and the Source Engine, a game like Garry's mod still sells copies 17 years later because of mods and comunity created content.
Note: My most wanted documentation would be how to make advanced weather effects like rain that starts out heavy and then clears up with sun starting low and moving up to get brighter over time.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 15, 2023, 10:12:06 AM

/article/Crafted_Maps/Splines/Placing_Textures_Along_Splines

I have managed to do something by copying/pasting in hexadecimal from another spline color and with the left button adding points. 

What are the "load", "save", "+ icon" icons for?

-was there a hot key to raise or lower splines?
which one is first?
There was more quick access, but I don't remember.

Another section in the wiki that shows all the shortcuts

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 15, 2023, 2:48:10 PM
Nylle wrote:

Yesman! Unlock the editor please, as Adler sais here the constraints are not helping the modding in this game. Support the modding community and the modding community will support you [Relic]. Although I'm very glad John_RE here is openly asking for feedback, that goes to show they do care to some extent. :)
As I have said before look at Valve games and the Source Engine, a game like Garry's mod still sells copies 17 years later because of mods and comunity created content.
Note: My most wanted documentation would be how to make advanced weather effects like rain that starts out heavy and then clears up with sun starting low and moving up to get brighter over time. 

100% this. Problem with gaming companies these days is its all corporate.

Opening the editor for full moding allows so much potential for making this #1 RTS of all time. Valve did this with Half Life, remember Counter Strike, DOD, Team Fortress, etc... all started as fan modes, then acquired by valve, and made $$$ on them.

Unfortunetly how Corporate sees this as they can do the same and "think" they can do it better. Which is a suit mistake.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 17, 2023, 8:40:24 PM

I am unable to access the ScarDocs at the moment. 

The Error I get is:

[scardocs:html\frameset.htm] not found.

cheers m8.

a year ago
Mar 19, 2023, 11:43:17 AM

I've tried the Essence Editor and making Tuning Packs, and I think it's useless at this time!!. I'm a CompStomp-player, and I love making mods for COH. But for COH3, it's no use yet: The game will either freez or the mod doesn't work.... I think this is an easy fix for the Devs, so why do you hold back?. It's not the first COH-game you're making, and we have paid the full price, witch is pretty anoying to be honest.....

Please get this fixed ASAP, so the game will work like the Fully Realeased game we all have paid for.....

(Sorry for my bad English-skills... my writing can be "a little off"... :) )

a year ago
Mar 19, 2023, 12:53:28 PM
MrPetters wrote:

I've tried the Essence Editor and making Tuning Packs, and I think it's useless at this time!!. I'm a CompStomp-player, and I love making mods for COH. But for COH3, it's no use yet: The game will either freez or the mod doesn't work.... I think this is an easy fix for the Devs, so why do you hold back?. It's not the first COH-game you're making, and we have paid the full price, witch is pretty anoying to be honest.....

Please get this fixed ASAP, so the game will work like the Fully Realeased game we all have paid for.....

(Sorry for my bad English-skills... my writing can be "a little off"... :) )

Yes, well said, despite the language barrier.

The tools themselves are pretty good, and the potential is obviously there, but there are far too many limitations in place for them to be worth using at present. This is unfortunate.

a year ago
Mar 20, 2023, 9:28:18 AM

It would be good to at least be able to replace the COH2 icons you guys used.  They are mismatched eyesores. 

a year ago
Mar 20, 2023, 3:54:03 PM
Adler wrote:

It would be good to at least be able to replace the COH2 icons you guys used.  They are mismatched eyesores. 

Custom icons can be imported. In the folder "assets" create the nested folders: ui\icons. And save the .png icons in there.

Then simply use the filename without extension in the icon field. No mod id needed.

?

Click here to login

Comment