Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Bugsplat and a discussion about it

Copied to clipboard!
4 months ago
Dec 12, 2023, 10:10:53 PM

I had a conversation with John this evening about Bugsplat. I presented my opinion and critically questioned why Relic can't manage that after 10 years of COH 2 there are still bug splats in COH 3. Yes, I was a bit critical of Relic and the programmers, but honestly, isn't that appropriate? I would like to encourage a critical discussion about the topic, I don't want to offend anyone here and I ask everyone who takes part here to take this into account. I was kicked from the Discord server after John's short conversation. Personally, I don't think that's okay at all, yes I was critical but I didn't directly offend anyone and I'm asking a clear question that Relic should answer itself. I would welcome it if I were to be unblocked again. Personally, I have to say that an experience like the one I just had doesn't make me want to support this company, even if I think the game concept is good and I really enjoy it. I supported the game for a long time and also actively contributed suggestions for improvements. I would be interested to know what other people think about it.

4 months ago
Dec 14, 2023, 9:09:13 PM

As I mentioned on Discord, Bugsplat is a service that allows any developer to identify, track and solve bugs that cause video games to crash. We are not trying to fix the same crashes CoH2 was experiencing 10-years ago. If you are getting Bugsplat reports after you crash in CoH3, it is likely a new issue that we are working to resolve. Filling out and submitting your Bugsplat reports gives us vital information to help us resolve and fix those crashes for all our players. You can learn more about the Bugsplat service here.

4 months ago
Dec 15, 2023, 9:03:39 AM

Hi John_RE.

This problem has happened to me too.  I hope you can fix it soon.  Thank you very much for your effort and dedication in improving the game. 

Greetings

4 months ago
Dec 15, 2023, 7:08:11 PM

Hey John. Ive still had the bugsplat since Bear update. Where I can only play 1 game and if I go into another game, it crashes upon finished loading. Since BEAR update!!!!
(fyi ive never had this issue prior to Bear)

Updated 4 months ago.
4 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 3:09:39 PM
Mercury wrote:

Hey John. Ive still had the bugsplat since Bear update. Where I can only play 1 game and if I go into another game, it crashes upon finished loading. Since BEAR update!!!!

Could you please reach out to our Support team and they can hopefully help diagnose the problem. https://coh3.companyofheroes.com/support

4 months ago
Dec 18, 2023, 8:42:05 PM
Mercury wrote:

Same exact issue,just made a support ticket through John's link lets hope for the best,

Greetings!

4 months ago
Jan 5, 2024, 9:59:39 PM

I get this error:

(F) [21:50:37.633] [000017708]: Failed to Present. HRESULT = 0x887a0005 - The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action. Device removed reason = 0x887a0006 - The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.
(F) [21:50:37.633] [000017708]: -- FATAL EXIT -- Failed to Present. HRESULT = 0x887a0005 - The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action. Device removed reason = 0x887a0006 - The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.

Not sure what to do with it

4 months ago
Jan 6, 2024, 4:26:08 AM
Mercury wrote:

At least you get to play 1 game.  I have been crashing in the startup routine since bear, haven't played a single game since September.  Multiple tickets sent, several people have looked at the issue, all the logs and no answer other than 'hopefully it starts working with a future update.  No one can even tell me what the issue is.  Didn't have a problem before bear, logged 120 hours before that update.  Considering the dozens of bugsplat reports submitted, nothing has come of it.  Not sure what bugsplat's value is.

a month ago
Mar 27, 2024, 9:27:30 PM

I'll just bump this thread back to get some more attention back on it, I have also opened a ticket about it just today, because I've had multiple discussions with other people over on Reddit and the Steam Community Forum about this exact issue.

Unfortunately for me it's the only game causing it and I've only very recently gotten around to playing CoH3 regularly, which in turn makes the overall multiplayer (partly even singleplayer) experience be it solo or with friends, highly frustrating and not amusing whatsoever.
There's multiple people having the same type of problem with the game, despite having the latest drivers, despite having powerful rigs and even having done complete system reinstalls.

I am fairly sure it all revolves around and only "Device removed reason = 0x887a0006" according to the "warnings". It would be nice if the issue would at least be acknowledged properly if not investigated by the technical support team, rather than it being whisked away by "make sure your GPU and overall drivers are up-to-date" which in my case they definitely are.

Overall said, I really WANT to play the game and experience it in a good way as a long time Company of Heroes fan, yet I am absolutely and completely unable to do so, without having to restart the game after every single played match, because I am not able to play multiple consecutive games one after the other after queueing up for them.

I could list multiple threads pointing out that this is indeed an issue for not just a handful of players, if there is a level of interest concerning the issue at hand but either way, despite how excited i might be and look forward to all the good stuff that's going to be included in update 1.6 and further, I might just put the game down entirely if there's no solution to this.

I digress, not to sound harsh, to keep it short. I appreciate all the effort that is being put into further developing and enhancing the game but I would love it even more if I could enjoy those things in their entirety, without being hindered, hamstrung and restricted by technical issues such as these.

24 days ago
Apr 2, 2024, 8:06:21 PM

Great patch and major update, congratulations first of all!

To all the curious, this issue has unfortunately not been adressed at all, which is very unfortunate.

The Automatch Cooldown doesn't seem to make it any better in that regard, because as soon as the match loads and crashes it qualifies as a "dropped" game.
@John_RE is there any news or acknowledgement about this? I think I'll have to refrain from playing the game for a while then.

Otherwise I'll try to keep enjoying by restarting the game after every match ??

24 days ago
Apr 3, 2024, 2:20:57 AM

Never quit a game midway and still got a 15-minute ban?

Updated 24 days ago.
24 days ago
Apr 3, 2024, 5:25:43 AM

Still having the every 2nd game bugsplat....

Game experience is pretty ruined for me and it has been like that for too long....

I hoped that the last update would fix it but it didnt....

18 days ago
Apr 9, 2024, 3:11:32 PM

I do not understand the topic nor the non-discussion 'discussion' concerning bugsplat. 

Especially the sentence "There are still bug splats". 

I am trying to put it politely: one cannot have a "critical discussion about the topic" if one does not understand the topic? That truly is not 'appropriate'. Equally, you cannot have a critical discussion about brain surgery , unless you are a certified brain surgeon. Programmers - of which I am one myself, though not making video games for a living - 'critically discuss' code. It is called patching. 

The game crashing is not bugsplat's 'fault'. Are people who have game crashes blaming 'bugsplat', because that is what they see, after a crash? That would be sad. And misinformed. 

When a game crashes, a crash (memory) dump is created. It contains important information about at what point and on what exact hardware and at what state the game crashed. Tools like Bugsplat or UnityCrashHandler or UnrealCrashHandler start in that moment and 'report' back to the dev (uploading information)  Blaming bugsplat or bug splats(?) is confusing the subject?

As mentioned above by the Mod John, it is just a pretty handy and very useful tool for developers to gather meaningful information from a user's crash dump. The main difference is that users mostly never see Unity or Unreal GUIs after the crash, since most of those report back without the user ever seeing it. Bugsplat in that sense is more transparent and privacy friendly. You get the information that the game crashed. It asks you politely, if you want to share this information. You can even see what information is shared.

I see no reason to have a 'discussion' about bugsplat, in these forums, but A) wanted to share some information, in case this helps clear things up and B) - as mentioned above - am still confused, if people are conflating game crashes with criticizing the tool which only reports them back?

15 days ago
Apr 12, 2024, 7:28:48 AM

Bumping this thread just to let people know that the issue of "crashing on every second or most consecutive games" as well as the game forcing a hardware crash is currently acknowledged and being investigated. 

Please make sure to help the devs out by submitting your bugsplat reports every time this issue occurs when ever you are playing the game.

13 days ago
Apr 14, 2024, 8:35:39 AM
CadianK36 wrote:

Bumping this thread just to let people know that the issue of "crashing on every second or most consecutive games" as well as the game forcing a hardware crash is currently acknowledged and being investigated. 

Please make sure to help the devs out by submitting your bugsplat reports every time this issue occurs when ever you are playing the game.

Is it really acknowledged and investigated? Cause it has been around for quite long time...Last patch didnt fix that nerve breaking issue either...Does it really help to submit that bugsplat report each time? Cause its the same issue over and over again....With the same description i mean...

@Cadian: Just for the record what is your graphic card? Cause i have the impression and judging from the report that it mostly happens with specific models....I have a Vega 56... 

Comment