Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Feedback on vehicle explosions

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Mar 22, 2023, 11:06:50 AM

While I'm (apparantly) one of the few people who likes the game and the back to the roots approach CoH 3 has taken (I preferred Coh1 over coh2), there are definately things that could improve.

I just saw this video:

https://youtu.be/x8ymICUQ_yE?t=116

And I couldn't help but notice how awesome the vehicle explosions look in that clip. In the current version there seems to be a lot less fire, therefore the whole explosion is underwhelming.

I don't know if the current version is more realistic, but given the fact that the video is titled "art & authenticity" one would assume that the explosions are quite accurate in the pre-alpha footage.

Are the explosions something that you are considering changing going forward?

I would like to end on a high note by praising the after-launch support you guys at Relic already have showed. 8 hotfixes and a sort-of roadmap in a month is more than many other studios would throw out. This gives me a lot of hope for the future of CoH3 and I think the game will improve immensely with this attitude. Keep at it!

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Mar 23, 2023, 12:55:01 PM

Good catch, these explosions definitely help to feel the impact, which is currently lacking and a common point to complain about. At 2:21 the Sherman Bulldozer doesn't turn completely black and burned out, the blade keeps its green paint like it should be, because it's not impacted by the explosion. It's a nice little detail, together with all the flying sparks and smoke tracers... Looks like it's overall just another thing that got downgraded somewhere between the pre-alpha and the release, like almost every visual aspect of the game.

You even see some dynamic lighting, like tank shots illuminating the tank and close environment, like it was back in CoH in 2006. It's a feature that's missing in the release version of CoH3 though. Was there any word of Relic why they decided to downgrade all these visuals for no apparent reason before the release? I really hope they up the graphics again soon, it's just another unnecessary negative thing in a flood of negative things that could've been prevented easily.

2 years ago
Mar 24, 2023, 11:34:35 AM
puRe wrote:

Good catch, these explosions definitely help to feel the impact, which is currently lacking and a common point to complain about. At 2:21 the Sherman Bulldozer doesn't turn completely black and burned out, the blade keeps its green paint like it should be, because it's not impacted by the explosion. It's a nice little detail, together with all the flying sparks and smoke tracers... Looks like it's overall just another thing that got downgraded somewhere between the pre-alpha and the release, like almost every visual aspect of the game.

You even see some dynamic lighting, like tank shots illuminating the tank and close environment, like it was back in CoH in 2006. It's a feature that's missing in the release version of CoH3 though. Was there any word of Relic why they decided to downgrade all these visuals for no apparent reason before the release? I really hope they up the graphics again soon, it's just another unnecessary negative thing in a flood of negative things that could've been prevented easily.

Yeah it is really odd to have a chapter of a video detaling the effects in the game, and then cut down on said effects come release.

I don't think they have explained publicly why the graphics changed so much unfortunately.

?

Click here to login

Comment