Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

do the producers intend to add Brazil to the game?

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jul 19, 2021, 11:18:53 PM

do you intend to add Brazil to the game?

Brazil in World War II

Brazil entered World War II after giving in to pressure from the US government to end the period of neutrality adopted by President Getúlio Vargas.

Until 1937, Brazil maintained cordial relations with Germany, a condition that was broken the following year.

Still, the country remained neutral. The situation would change in 1942, when Brazil broke diplomatic relations with the Axis.

Thus, 19 Brazilian ships were attacked off the Brazilian coast by German forces causing the death of 500 people.

There was intense popular pressure for Brazil's entry into the war and Getúlio Vargas' government started to support the Allies.

Despite the Americans' opposition, the Brazilian government wanted to send soldiers to the conflict.

Getúlio Vargas got US President Franklin Roosevelt to modernize the Armed Forces and grant loans to build a steel plant in the country.

This would be CSN - Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional - located in Volta Redonda/RJ.

In exchange, Brazil ceded land in Rio Grande do Norte for the Americans to install a military base. This was intended to be the take-off place for the planes heading to Europe and became known as the "Trampoline of Victory".

Until then, critics doubted the capacity of Brazilian participation in the conflict. They said that “it would be easier for a snake to smoke than for FEB to embark”. For this reason, the symbol of the FEB was a snake smoking a pipe.

See also: Good Neighbor Policy

Brazil in World War II

Chronology of Brazilian participation in World War II

The declaration of war against Germany and Italy took place on August 31, 1942. The Brazilian army, however, had a meager contingent and it was necessary to summon recruits and reservists, such as doctors, nurses and lawyers.

The decree that formed the FEB (Força Expedicionaria Brasileira) was signed on August 9, 1943. The FEB joined the US Army and was trained by them in Italy.

The FEB contingent consisted of 25,445,000 men to act exclusively in the war. Of these, 450 soldiers died and 3,000 soldiers were wounded during the campaign in Brazil.

The Brazilian contingent was divided into eight units:

1st Infantry Regiment, of Rio de Janeiro;

6th Infantry Regiment, from Caçapava, São Paulo;

11th Infantry Regiment, from São João Del Rei, Minas Gerais;

Four artillery groups;

9th Engineering Battalion, Aquidauana, Mato Grosso do Sul;

1st reconnaissance squadron;

1st Health Battalion;

special troops and 67 nurses.

The newly created Brazilian Air Force (FAB) also took part in the conflict.

Under the motto of “Senta a Pua”, its main unit was the 1st Fighter Aviation Group (GAC), equipped with P47 Thunderbolt aircraft.

It was made up of 374 soldiers and 28 planes, of which 16 were shot down, five pilots killed in combat and five taken prisoner.

3 years ago
Jul 19, 2021, 11:34:15 PM
luizportobelo wrote:

Eu apoio e concordo 100%!
---
I support and agree 100%!

tem que ser fiel ao fato historico, ate mesmo a banda de metal Sabaton (suecos) reconheceu isso e veio visitar o museu da FEB e FAB aqui no Brasil

you have to be faithful to the historical fact, even the metal band Sabaton (Swedes) recognized this and came to visit the FEB and FAB museum here in Brazil

3 years ago
Jul 19, 2021, 11:36:41 PM
I'm looking forward for this to happen!

A Brazilian commander or even a special unit would really represent Brazil's participation in such a hard campaign. The Brazilian FEB deserves more recognition for its bravery and effort during some of the bloodiest and most important battles of the Italian campaign.

I hope this reaches the devs, as it would be a fine addition to the game!
3 years ago
Jul 20, 2021, 12:07:15 AM
AxelG9 wrote:
I'm looking forward for this to happen!

A Brazilian commander or even a special unit would really represent Brazil's participation in such a hard campaign. The Brazilian FEB deserves more recognition for its bravery and effort during some of the bloodiest and most important battles of the Italian campaign.

I hope this reaches the devs, as it would be a fine addition to the game!

Nah Brazil need a fullplay campaing and faction...

anyone can research the importance of our achievements on the internet, the North Americans recognized us after the end of the war, many German soldiers preferred to surrender to the Brazilians to other allied forces.

“The German troops received instructions from Berlin to treat the FEB expeditionaries with extreme harshness, in order to demoralize them and be able to show them to other countries in Latin America, since Brazilians were the only ones in the region in the European theater of war. .”

Despite the horrors and challenges that FEB faced in Italy, the Brazilian campaign was a success. The Brazilian “pracinhas” achieved admirable conquests against the German forces, and this last Saturday (14) completed 73 years of one of the most extraordinary battles that took place in Italian territory.

During the capture of Montese, three Brazilian soldiers went on patrol through the region. Their names were Geraldo Baêta da Cruz, 28, from Entre Rios de Minas, Geraldo Rodrigues de Souza, 26, from Rio Preto in Zona da Mata, and Arlindo Lúcio da Silva, 25, from São João del Rey.

It was April 14, 1945 when the three little soldiers unexpectedly came across an entire company of the German Army. The Germans numbered approximately 100 men, fully armed, and ordered the Brazilians to surrender.

Amid the bloody battle to take Montese, which lasted four days, the Brazilians honorably chose not to surrender, and fought bravely until the ammunition ran out and were, after hours of combat, killed by the Germans.

The courage of the Brazilians was such that the Nazi commander had them buried and placed a plaque on the grave with the inscription “Drei Brasilianische Helden”, “Três Heróis Brasileiros“.

3 years ago
Jul 20, 2021, 11:21:17 PM

I admire your zeal for Brazil, but Brazil was not a major player in WW2. Brazil lacked troops, money, and political clout. 

3 years ago
Jul 21, 2021, 10:26:10 PM
stryker2600 wrote:

I admire your zeal for Brazil, but Brazil was not a major player in WW2. Brazil lacked troops, money, and political clout. 

I bet they'll put it after all, Brazil had great importance in the Italian campaign too, unlike many countries that stayed in a neutral or cowering position.

2 years ago
Jun 15, 2022, 12:32:49 PM

One brazilian commander Will be Nice!!

Um comandante Brasileiro já seria ótimo!!!

2 years ago
Jun 16, 2022, 1:08:07 PM

I think as a faction, to add Brazil does not makes a lot of sense, unless if it's inside a General Expeditionary Corps faction, then it would include Brazilian Commands and troops, of course, alongside African-American, and Japanese-American troops and commanders.

What I hope is for them to add the Brazilian Expeditionary Force troops (aka the Smoking Snakes) to the US Army as you did with the Gurkha Rifles Section. It would be a good way of representing South America, and it would make a lot of sense since thousands of them were sent to Italy, they made a lot of reconnaissance operations and achieved battlefield successes at more than 15 cities in Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force

2 years ago
Jun 16, 2022, 2:44:17 PM

I understand that as a patriotic brazilian, you want brazil as a faction in the game (or at least a commander), but knowing the CoH franchise, I doubt, there is a place for that. Maybe a unit within a commander and some mentioning in the campaign, but that's it. I'm just realistic about it, no hate against brazilians. Brazil hadn't much impact on WW2 (and therefore gladly didn't suffer from WW2 that much). Of course almost every nation influenced WW2 somehow, but in CoH there's not really enough space to represent every nation and I prefer to flesh out the majors. E.g. the italians would need a more prominent role than we currently know (own faction or an africa korps with mostly italian units). And I'm being neutral here, because I'm not an italian or somehow italian related. I'm just honest and objective, which nations fit the most in CoH 3.

2 years ago
Jun 16, 2022, 3:10:40 PM
Snowman123 wrote:

I understand that as a patriotic brazilian, you want brazil as a faction in the game (or at least a commander), but knowing the CoH franchise, I doubt, there is a place for that. Maybe a unit within a commander and some mentioning in the campaign, but that's it. I'm just realistic about it, no hate against brazilians. Brazil hadn't much impact on WW2 (and therefore gladly didn't suffer from WW2 that much). Of course almost every nation influenced WW2 somehow, but in CoH there's not really enough space to represent every nation and I prefer to flesh out the majors. E.g. the italians would need a more prominent role than we currently know (own faction or an africa korps with mostly italian units). And I'm being neutral here, because I'm not an italian or somehow italian related. I'm just honest and objective, which nations fit the most in CoH 3.

Just a side note here;
Brazil was an important part for the battle of the Atlantic. Many missions were launched from Brazil to force the german uboats out of the southern atlantic. Brazil participated in many anti-sub missions in the area so i wont underrate their war contribution.

For the Brazilian Forces (BEF) in Italy:

The BEF was organised as an US infantry division with US equipment. They used their own uniforms and field equipment like water bottles and boots. Heavy weapons/heavy equipment was provided by the US Army. In Italy the BEF was often supported by heavy US elements like the 751st Tank Battalion (Shermans and Stuarts) and the 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion (M10 Wolverine - and as far as i know they got 5 T70 "Hellcat" prototypes/early M18 serial vehicles in 1944 for combat testing).

Furthermore, the BEF was supported by the Brazilian P-47 Thunderbolt fighter-bombers. 

So when we look at the BEF in gameplay terms we have a standard infantry division with artillery and armor support. We know by screenshots and pre alphas that the M18 is part of the US tech tree. BUT we havent seen any US artillery emplacement (classis CoH doctrinal unlock) and we havent seen any M10 tank destroyers. So when we will see the BEF (and i'm hoping for a BEF battlegroup) it could be modeled around artillery emplacements/buildings, M10 Wolverine callins and/or P-47 air support.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Jun 16, 2022, 9:33:19 PM
Snowman123 wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but this coh3 takes place in italy and Brazil had a very relevant participation there, so I think it would be even more immersive and realistic to represent who played the most relevant role in this theater of war in italy.

2 years ago
Jun 17, 2022, 2:21:04 PM

@ The last two posts: Therefore I have no problem with a unit or two, which refer to Brazil, but I don't think a whole combat group (commander) or a faction should be brazilian (Italy as I said would make more sense, especially because it has it's own units instead of many allied (US) based ones). Maybe give them a somewhat prominent role in the campaign like the indians, canadians, etc. I don't want to belittle Brazil in WW2 and in the italian theatre, but it would be also a mistake to overrepresent them (because there were so many factions/nations participating, which would claim, that they deserve a faction or combat group too). E.g. I don't have a problem, that my nation doesn't even get mentioned in CoH, even if it actively participated on all fronts in WW2 (including italy) too.

2 years ago
Jun 17, 2022, 2:36:38 PM

Keep in mind that we have one big question that hadnt be answered at all;

The Brazilians arrived on July 2, 1944.

We havent seen any "content" for a campaign that last longer then the Liberation of Rome - on June 4, 1944.

So there is a chance that the campaign will END with the liberation of Rome (i dont hope it!) but with information when the campaign will end we could think about possible content.

2 years ago
Jun 20, 2022, 12:29:04 PM
ProtosAngelus wrote:

Relic could add different units through different commander pathways in different allied factions. Generally major factions were Germany against the UK (most), US (later on in the war) and Soviets (after Hitler betrayed Stalin), Japan (mostly in the Pacific and island fighting with the US). Brazil, India, etc.... could all be added through special units. Brazil could have a unit that is great in CQC and has a lot of utility (like a guerilla rainforest fighter would have).

So while I think that extra major factions should not be included (for balance purposes, max 5-7 factions), you could add extra nationalities inside different factions (Canada, Brazil, India,...)

The Brazilian story doesnt fit at all. It seems to me that the Brazilian infantry failed in close combat. The combat reports of the 232. Infanterie-Division indicate that the 1st Brazilian Division lacked the firepower and experience to fight close combat and infiltration missions. And a small side note here; Brazilian army in ww2 wasnt a "guerilla rainforest fighter force"; it was trained for western combat standards.

a year ago
Jan 27, 2023, 12:47:49 PM

I Hope they Add. If it wasn't for the Brazilian Airport in Natal City, the US could not advance to north Africa. 

a year ago
Jan 27, 2023, 1:17:55 PM

If we are really talking about adding basically every country in the game, who participated in World War 2, we end up with 45+ factions. People also want the Japanese, the the US-pacific army and some other nations as well. But if we go down this rabbit whole, we can argue why they don't add the french, the polish, the greek and everyone else, who faught somewhere in WW2. That is unrealistic. Including the italian units is actually a big step to more factions we didn't have seen before. But be realistic. Relic won't start to include random nations, because some people want them. Saying that. Who knows if there won't be a CoH4 someday, with another game setting and other factions.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Jan 27, 2023, 3:19:15 PM

I think its fair to include FEB. Maybe there will be little challenge scenarios and we can have a mission like the partisan/sniper one from coh2 campaign.

a year ago
Jan 27, 2023, 6:11:51 PM

I do understand your point of view, but Brazil was in loco at the time, with over 25.000 soldiers (less than 500 K.I.A). In the COH3 campaign, they are even going to put Indians beside the British. I think it's possible to put a General or Brazilian Unit. I share this video if people want to learn more about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr20qE9EBCI&t=71s

LordAtrox wrote:

If we are really talking about adding basically every country in the game, who participated in World War 2, we end up with 45+ factions. People also want the Japanese, the the US-pacific army and some other nations as well. But if we go down this rabbit whole, we can argue why they don't add the french, the polish, the greek and everyone else, who faught somewhere in WW2. That is unrealistic. Including the italian units is actually a big step to more factions we didn't have seen before. But be realistic. Relic won't start to include random nations, because some people want them. Saying that. Who knows if there won't be a CoH4 someday, with another game setting and other factions.

a year ago
Feb 1, 2023, 1:38:32 AM

Yeah they 100% need to add them to the game maybe as part of an additional battle-group later on in the MP or in the campaign. I also mentioned that Australia, New Zealand, Free French, Polish exiles, Canadian and South African soldiers should be added to the game for future, especially for North Africa. 

Not as individual factions (although Commonwealth faction would be nice) but units attached to main factions either through battlegroups or a tales of valor type system that allows you to swap in these units for others (for example- Australian light infantry replacing British section). 

I think relic through lack of proper research make the mistake of underestimating the impact that the smaller nations made in crucial battles. Often they were the difference between victory and defeat, and upstaged their bigger Allies.

Updated a year ago.
?

Click here to login

Comment