Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Major lighting pass still missing?

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Mar 10, 2023, 7:41:03 PM

After the multiplayer tech test earlier this year there was an announcement that a major lighting pass was not ready, but that we'll see updated versions in the upcoming deep dives.

Source:

While the visuals of the release version improved over the tech test, I'm not seeing the "major" update yet. The overall illumination seems still very simple and there is almost no dynamic lighting, like muzzle flashes from mg's and tank shells illuminating the model and close environment.

Back in the pre-alpha phase a lot of people disliked the colorful environments, which is really sad and I still think the visuals were almost perfect.

Then people disliked the bright mission alpha and to be fair, the desert lighting was a bit too harsh and needed slight adjustments.

That being said, I wonder how it went from this:

to adjusting the colors and harsh (desert) lighting and make it look like this:

It's a much bigger graphics downgrade than necessary, and looks more like an actual pre-alpha before the finished lighting pass.

So am I right to assume that the announced major lighting pass still isn't fully ready and that we'll see further improvements in the (near) future? Maybe with additional contrast and saturation sliders, so that everyone can switch back to the more colorful pre-alpha graphics if they want to?

Don't get me wrong, I still think that CoH3 is a good looking game, but knowing what it looked like in the past and comparing that to the release, is actually quite disappointing.

2 years ago
Mar 11, 2023, 12:52:31 AM

Yeah I think they went a bit overboard when people reacted negatively to the high contrast and lighting. Heaps of post process effects were also removed since the alpha. I hope they get added back because the game lost a lot of its visual lustre without them.

2 years ago
Mar 11, 2023, 8:31:29 PM
Crumb_ wrote:

Yeah I think they went a bit overboard when people reacted negatively to the high contrast and lighting. Heaps of post process effects were also removed since the alpha. I hope they get added back because the game lost a lot of its visual lustre without them.

True, I think the teased post Mission Alpha visuals that included all the initial changes were actually fine, even though the decrease of the bright desert could've been a bit more subtle. It would be nice to know why Relic decided to downgrade the graphics further to what we have now. It doesn't make sense to me and the only reason I can think of is the still missing final lighting pass.

Picture 1: Mission Alpha

Picture 2: Post Mission Alpha tease (labled as work in progress)

Picture 3: Release (worse lighting, worse contrast, worse / no post processing)

Compared to the teased post Mission Alpha graphics the release version is missing a lot of depth and looks rather flat in my opinion.

JiongJiong wrote:

I doubt they'll switch back to the old lighting.

Well, they changed the graphics because a lot? of people complained, or at least a very loud minority? Who knows... But now a lot of people complain about the graphics again and I see more and more people using Reshade to improve the visuals. Maybe they'll listen again, if we're enough or at least loud enough. I'll doubt they go back to the pre-alpha visuals too, although I'd really like to see that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the teased post Mission Alpha visuals, since the downgrade after that was totally unnecessary. Plus the dynamic lighting for muzzle flashes and (small) things like that.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Mar 11, 2023, 10:25:28 PM

Well, they changed the graphics because a lot? of people complained, or at least a very loud minority? Who knows... But now a lot of people complain about the graphics again and I see more and more people using Reshade to improve the visuals. Maybe they'll listen again, if we're enough or at least loud enough. I'll doubt they go back to the pre-alpha visuals too, although I'd really like to see that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the teased post Mission Alpha visuals, since the downgrade after that was totally unnecessary. Plus the dynamic lighting for muzzle flashes and (small) things like that.

I dont know. Maybe it's not a priority too many thing to fix, or there aren't THAT many people complain since you can use Reshade. :(

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Mar 13, 2023, 9:02:54 PM

It might possibly...have been too bright in the alpha. But isn't direct sunlight gazing at pale terrain quite harsh? I think they removed way too much lighting.

2 years ago
Mar 17, 2023, 1:39:43 PM
JiongJiong wrote:

I dont know. Maybe it's not a priority too many thing to fix, or there aren't THAT many people complain since you can use Reshade. :(

Sure, it's probably not on top of the list of things that need fixing, but it still creates a lot of criticism and shouldn't be forgotten in the long run. Besides that, they stated in the most recent patchnotes for patch 1.0.7 "We’ll soon have additional news on other top areas of player feedback, including when to expect future patches and content. Stay tuned!" So fingers crossed.

Jaedodn wrote:

It might possibly...have been too bright in the alpha. But isn't direct sunlight gazing at pale terrain quite harsh? I think they removed way too much lighting.

I hope they acknowledge the fact that they went overboard with the changes of the lighting and contrast and revert them to what they initially envisioned for CoH3, basically the visuals of the video that runs in the background of CoH3's official website. It looks so much better and almost feels like a completely different game! Just add an additional contrast / saturation slider for people who want a less colorful Italy and they're done. Well, except for the dynamic lighting, but I'm pretty sure they have an update for that in the making too. ;)

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Mar 23, 2023, 1:41:38 PM

People start getting better and better with their Reshade presets and since it looks better AND improves the readability of units by a lot, I can't understand why it takes so long to flip the switch back to the old visuals. We already had them at one point, so they don't have to get build from the ground up...

Standard:

Reshade:

Thanks to Threetoz even more graphical downgrades are uncovered: Feedback on vehicle explosions

The vehicle explosions in the release version are worse too, compared to the pre-alpha. In the linked footage of his post you even see some dynamic lighting on tank shots. So they were in the game at some point and had to go with all the other graphical fidelity. I swear this downgrade gets worse every day and I wonder how many small details are still out there to discover... This needs to stop and has to get fixed asap!

2 years ago
Mar 24, 2023, 11:31:21 AM
puRe wrote:

Thanks to Threetoz even more graphical downgrades are uncovered: Feedback on vehicle explosions

The vehicle explosions in the release version are worse too, compared to the pre-alpha. In the linked footage of his post you even see some dynamic lighting on tank shots. So they were in the game at some point and had to go with all the other graphical fidelity. I swear this downgrade gets worse every day and I wonder how many small details are still out there to discover... This needs to stop and has to get fixed asap!

Thanks for the shout out :)
Let's cross our fingers for next week with the operation sapphire jackal that some graphical improvements are included.

?

Click here to login

Comment