Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Quick Update on Hot Fix 1.8.1 Release Timing

Copied to clipboard!
5 days ago
Sep 23, 2024, 10:56:27 PM

Our team wanted to provide an update on our progress with the next hot fix. Some of the multiplayer balance changes we introduced in update 1.8.0 had unintended side effects on the meta, and the issues they created were made worse by a couple of bugs. These compounding factors have skewed the multiplayer meta in a direction that we’re not happy with. The identified issues are not all the same across skill bracket or game mode, however, there are several things we wish to address to bring the multiplayer experience closer to where we want it.

With all that said, we will need some additional time to test the 1.8.1 patch to ensure it does not introduce any bugs or issues that are worse than the ones we are trying to solve. As an independent studio now, we need to be prudent with our time and resources. This means (depending on the scope of changes) we may have a longer gap between identifying issues and getting a patch published - primarily due to the capacity of our team. As much as we want to get a patch out fast (and we’ve done so in the past), it’s usually better for the health of the game if we take time to do things by the book. Another decision we had to make in this case was whether we delay 1.8.1 by a few days to get all these changes included or push some of them to 1.9.0 in November. We felt it best to go with the former.

The 1.8.1 hot fix is on track to be released later this week. You can find a preview of the balance changes we hope to include below, but please keep in mind that these are subject to change. We are also targeting some key items on our Known Issues list, but we will provide more information on those when 1.8.1 is released. 

Thank you for your patience and support! 

- The CoH3 Team 

General 

Stosstruppen and Guastatori 

- Correctly adjusted armor to be 1 from 1.25 or 1.5 

US Forces 

M8 Greyhound 

A few issues were found when we made our changes to Greyhound’s data, and we’re making some improvements to the performance of its very important 50cal gun so that it is effective while on the move. 

- 37mm moving accuracy to 0.75 from 0.5 

- 50cal moving burst penalty removed 

- 50cal horizontal tracking speed from 35 to 60 

- 50cal firing cone increased from 5 to 10 

- 50cal ready aim time set from 0.5/0.75 to 0.25/0.375 

Bazooka Team 

- Build time from 40 to 25 

Infantry Assault 

- Ability cooldown increased by 60 seconds 

- Munition cost increased from 100 to 125 

Wehrmacht 

Panzergrenadiers 

This incorrect number increased what was intended to be a gentle ~5% increase in damage-per-second to be a powerful ~15% lethality buff at close ranges, which was unintended. 

- Near range corrected from 10 to 7 

LG40 Recoilless Team 

The new performance of the High Explosive shell is oppressive when combined with its full range. Rather than making the HE less reliable, we’re reducing the range to increase the risk and counterplay. 

- HE Range from 50 to 40 

Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar 

- Fuel cost from 110 to 120 

Support Bunkers 

We’ve noticed that certain strategies are too powerful at snowballing an early Command Bunker into dominant map control, never letting opponents catch up. This is meant to delay how early Coastal can anchor their defensive line and give opponents more time to counter a player trying to setup. 

- Command Point cost increased from 1 to 2

British Forces 

Commando Section 

- Fixed an issue where the Commando Sten was not using the correct stats. Now properly uses the values provided in update 1.8.0.

Deutsches Afrikakorps 

Panzergrenadier 

The original changes were meant to make Panzergrenadier builds more viable, particularly in smaller game modes. However, the impact on team games was significantly greater than expected, and we’re toning down some of the power we’ve given to them and reducing their scaling speed slightly. 

- DPS revert mid-range buff from 1.6 to 2 

- Build time from 20 to 30 

- Reinforce time increased from 3.375 to 4 

- Veterancy requirements scaling increased by 100, from 900/2700/5400 to 1000/3000/6000 

Kradschutzen Motorcycle Team 

We’re toning down some of its Recon and its combat endurance. While the changes have increased the build variety of Afrikakorps openers, we’ve found that the value of giving Combined Arms far exceeded expectations, making this unit too efficient early, being good at combat, support and recon. 

- Vision radius reduced from 45 to 35 

-  Self repair time changed from 15 to 30 seconds- Health reduced from 200 to 185 

2.5 Tonne Medical Truck 

We’re increasing the risk of bringing these to the front. It was too difficult to properly punish these builds due to the ability of the Truck to shrug off hits and retreat. 

- Health reduced to 160 

L6/40 Light Tank 

- Fuel cost increased from 60 to 70 

- L6 Flamer damage against production buildings reduced to 175% from 350% 

5 days ago
Sep 23, 2024, 11:04:39 PM

that crash/freeze on loading screen before the team names show (i noticed it a few times in co-op) is adding to the leave penalty - any chance of getting a fix on that? or the penalty reduced to somewhat reasonable levels or even have a cap of 1 hour or something. 

5 days ago
Sep 23, 2024, 11:27:13 PM

How is making dak panzer grenadier take longer to come out going to help early game? I thought that was the point of the initial buff....

5 days ago
Sep 23, 2024, 11:33:37 PM

Nerfing the DAK PanzerGrenadiers again,

Now it's time to reduce the cost, because it takes longer to build, reinforce and gain veterancy.

300Mp to 285Mp

And the Panzerjajers gain 1 more man in the squad when researching the "squad leader training".

The Rangers also need to be nerfed.

The US paratroopers need to have a cooldown before throwing the bomb sachets, so there is time to respond.

Updated 5 days ago.
5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 12:27:20 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO. NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING??????? why would you shutdown the few recon tools of Dak at the beginning????????? If you want to do that then you better make the added vision when the bike stops kick in immediately when it stops. This is not good, the problem with dak was not with this aspect, you could have tweaked the raw dps but you shouldn't shut down the feature of a unit used for scouting like this

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 3:13:56 AM

I feel like you're missing the point here. Let's take a step back to version 1.7, which a lot of us agreed was pretty well-balanced for 1v1 maps. But that same "balance" completely fell apart in 4v4 maps. Each faction had its own way of torturing other players, including their own teammates, and it just led to everyone accusing the others of being OP. With the map design and firepower density, the strategies and timings in 4v4 games are completely different. Those small unit tweaks snowballed out of control and became a total disaster.

Now, for this 1.8 patch so far. In 4v4 games at 1400+ ELO, DAK is spamming PGs, British players are one-clicking their way to victory with naval artillery and typhoon rockets (just like the last patch), Wehrmacht is spamming weaker bunkers to hold for Brummbars, and US players either vanish or flood the map with 8 squads of Pathfinders, wiping out any infantry in the early game. So yeah, we're all set for a bright future.

Honestly, maybe it's time to consider balancing 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 separately, even if it creates some inconsistencies.

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 4:46:34 AM

L6/40 Light Tank 

- Fuel cost increased from 60 to 70 

- L6 Flamer damage against production buildings reduced to 175% from 350% 

Lol WUT ? 

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 6:52:44 AM

Not a word about the rangers. These guys are so boring... you only have 2 mg!!! Find them more dangerous!!

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 6:56:54 AM
Xampoo wrote:

Nerfing the DAK PanzerGrenadiers again,

Now it's time to reduce the cost, because it takes longer to build, reinforce and gain veterancy.

300Mp to 285Mp

And the Panzerjajers gain 1 more man in the squad when researching the "squad leader training".

The Rangers also need to be nerfed.

The US paratroopers need to have a cooldown before throwing the bomb sachets, so there is time to respond.

I will support everything that has been said. I put +1 In case of advanced treatment, it is necessary to add one person at a time to the skin area

Updated 5 days ago.
5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 6:59:56 AM
John_RE wrote:

Our team wanted to provide an update on our progress with the next hot fix. Some of the multiplayer balance changes we introduced in update 1.8.0 had unintended side effects on the meta, and the issues they created were made worse by a couple of bugs. These compounding factors have skewed the multiplayer meta in a direction that we’re not happy with. The identified issues are not all the same across skill bracket or game mode, however, there are several things we wish to address to bring the multiplayer experience closer to where we want it.

Why is the subsections DAK does not have any useful intelligence that will highlight the map?!!!!!

Carry out reconnaissance from the air or identify the territory behind the enemy!!!!

Updated 5 days ago.
5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 7:43:00 AM

Look how fast they nerf axis. And how long it takes them to nerf OP allied units. xD

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 8:13:03 AM

Please, just think about it: if you shutdown dak bike back to 35 - which is normal vision of standard units, what else is there for dak as scout option early game? Having to wait for it to stand 4 sec before the vision adding ability pops will also be so painful to use? Do i have to wait for mid just to do a simple thing as scouting with vet1 8rad/tractor? Or do i have to wait for late game when i can upgrade to scope to be able to scout? You are making dak army a blind animal, and a blind animal is deficient no matter how sharp its claws or how long its fangs are

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 9:26:08 AM

can we tone down fuel cost of light vehicles a little?

meta is way to focused on infantry at the moment

5 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 10:16:55 AM

Seriously I worry about some of you guys on the forum. 

Is this a ---- for axis mains or something? 

This thread is a stark contrast to the other channels /reddit / discord etc. 

Why wouldn't these changes be at least going in the right direction? Axis win rates are ten percentage points higher than allies since patch.. That's the swing.. That's the swing of the balance. That in anyone's book should be a worrying symptom of an update. 

Updated 4 days ago.
4 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 3:18:32 PM

Going to go over the patchnotes related to the sections so its easier to keep track. 

General 

Good fix on the armour bug, still think the damage reduction might be pretty oppressive (Unsure exactly at what breakpoints the armour loss is better or worse than the DR - maybe some table providing us with the rundown would help players engage with and understand these changes better?) but I don't mind a patch of this to give these units greater playability even if they should overperform expectations.

US Forces 

Pretty good changes overall, I think there might be too many buffs on the 50cal of the greyhound especially losing the movement malice AND better aim time but the unit hasn't seemed too great (but I have only watched USF gameplay this patch so far!).

Wehrmacht 

I honestly think reducing the brumbar's health or armour slightly is better than gating it behind very high costs (less fun for wehr player who is even or behind as it becomes inaccessible and the dominant strength of the unit is always little fun for opponent) as the unit just performs too well against infantry and faces very little threat unless the allied player makes an insanely high investment into AT. Allies being forced into investing into 2-3 ATG's to fight the brumbar isn't a problem but this only disuades the brumbar in a lot of situations. PG fix is great and now looks way more reasonable than what was implemented. Quite surprised that grenadiers keep the 4 second build time reduction as frankly it is absurdly overbearing.

Even as a hater of bunkers, is coastal support bunkers genuinely a huge problem following the other coastal nerfs and not just something that is exacerbated through the beneficial bugs that axis have as well as the oversight on a few buffs? Seems unncessary but I haven't had much experience with team games this patch that could be a factor.  

British Forces 

Commandos my love, thanks for the correct update on this. Surprised there isn't any slight touch ups to lmg commandos or fallschrim alongside this as I feel these units are also underperforming pretty hard - the lmg commandos even more so as their timing is unfortunately quite atrocious! Potentially something to be looked at for future patches? UKF sniper pls!

Deutsches Afrikakorps 

Panzergrenadier 

So for this one I will keep the Palm changelist below as well as its unique header but I really do not think this is a wise change and swings way too hard in the opposite direction of the 1.8.0 change that buffed palms TOO MUCH. It feels like quite a brutal sledgehammer even though this unit is overperforming by a large margin, I think a more reasonable choice would be that you either choose group A (DPS revert, Veterancy Requirement) or B (Build time OR reinforce time up, reinforce cost +1-2). 

The palms are in a very weird spot as the factions own design doesn't really allow this squad to be bought as much as other mainlines (you pay 40mp more for every palm after your third) that does require them to carry weight.

Side tangent on this: imo this comes in their fast timing and the notion that they should not bleed in the mid game through good use of combined arms (both in the literal sense and the ability) which feels very bad when there can be 6 rifles on the field. This then requires the vehicles to carry too much weight which becomes unrealistic and stressful or they are just too good. Overall it feels that DAK's own design plagues it as the faction plays by a different set of rules than more traditional CoH factions. Now is the perfect decision to take a stance on whether or not you want the faction to move towards traditional CoH where they function as the main pillar (nerf B) or if they should go back to providing a hybrid hammer/anvil role dependant on their vehicle choice, being less oppressive early and taking longer to scale (nerf A).  

- DPS revert mid-range buff from 1.6 to 2 (A)

- Build time from 20 to 30 (B1 Unique with B2)

- Reinforce time increased from 3.375 to 4 (B2 Unique with B1)

- Veterancy requirements scaling increased by 100, from 900/2700/5400 to 1000/3000/6000 (A)

Suggested addition:
- Reinforce cost increase from 28 to 29/30 (?) (B)

The rest of the DAK changes seem pretty reasonable, I do think however the L6 flamer damage on infantry is a tad too high especially as they do come at the same time. A very marginal nerf on this could be great.

Final point: UKF sniper pls in future and can we get Guards icon on the forums :D?

Updated 4 days ago.
4 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 11:45:47 AM

Nerf hammer nerfing DAK into irrelevance again. 

I just don't understand why it's so hard to not over compensate.

L6 changes are fair. I always thought they were low-key strong with their flamers. This patch just shone a light on them with the building damage buff.

Updated 4 days ago.
4 days ago
Sep 24, 2024, 3:33:49 PM

I feel like this Infantry Assault ability needs further adjustments. Like additional 60 sec to cooldown on top of this and additional 25 munition. In your way of changes this still gonna be too spamable. Bazookas on them also deals increased damage when improved rockets are resarchred? This should be cut as well. 

Brummbar nerf also not gonna add much I think that's its gun effectiveness or health pool should be lower. 

And what about we nerf AT gun spam? Its boring to watch and frustrating to play against, dunno if reducing range a bit (like 5?) wouldn't help? Or perhaps make it less vital or higher the cost. 

Updated 4 days ago.
?

Click here to login

Comment